Friday, February 20, 2009

Geocaching Anyone?


I am addicted. If you don't know what geocaching is, let me lay it out for you. It is a giant scavenger hunt that combines nature and technology. Who doesn't like a good scavenger hunt and a little competition? Using a GPS unit, you enter the waypoints of a cache location which you can get from www.geocaching.com. Then you just let the GPS lead the way. Once your unit "zeros out" you just start looking. Most of them are located in parks and off little nature trails, but some are what we call "urban" caches. Those are the most fun because you don't have to bushwack through trees and thorns to find the treasure.
What kind of treasures...well that is where it can get tricky. Sometimes it is just a paper log that you sign and date saying you found it. Others are camoed containers holding little toys and gadgets that you can trade or just take. Great fun for the whole family...even Dakota loves it!
As you can tell from the pictures on the side, we have found some pretty cool ones (57 total). There are lots of people who have found thousands of these caches all over the world. (There are almost 800,000 geocaches in the world!)
I was 9 months pregnant when we found the caches pictured on this blog and we haven't been since Bailey's arrival. I am having withdrawls, but hopefully we will get back out there soon! Let me know if you are a fellow cacher, or if you want to become one!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like so much fun! I am enjoying your blog. Happy happy Birthday friend! Love you and can't wait to see you and your family in a couple of weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi cricket! Congrats. Oh my goodness, Bailey is SO cute! I have a gift for you guys but I don't want Brian just to leave it at school for you. I hope you are enjoying your mommy time!

    ReplyDelete

Blake Family Foursome

Blake Family Foursome
This is our first picture of the four of us. Laura Sue took it on her short, but sweet visit a couple of weeks ago. I stole the pic from her blog!